Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chapter 1 of Fast Food Nation

The first chapter of the book was very eye opening in the first 10 pages. I found it to be packed with early history that alot of people probably didnt know about.

 I found the history of the automobile industry to be the most interesting to my senses. Who would have thought that Los Angleles would have more cars in the city itself that the other 41 states at the time; thats outstanding! The year is only 1940; wich in my eyes in a long time ago becuase that is the year that my grandpa was born and he is still kicking today. At my house we have a few cars from back in that era and to think how dangerouse they are to drive now just leads me to think that driving back then would have been hazardes to pedestrians on the sidewalks trying to use the public transportation.

When you look at itdriv in movis are rarley played around here anymore. Why wouldnt they still have it? What was the real reasion for them to be shut down? We still have drive thru eating but why dont we have drive in movies? There are always questions to be asked about eraly automotive ideas that vanished like a ghost.

I never knew the Hells Angles came from this timme period. I mean i have heard of the group but i thought they were from later down the road. It's funny how you can hear of something when you are little and not really know how old or how big something is until you get older. For example, i never knew that there were still peoople dying from radiation in japan. I knew we dropped a bomb but i thought the things just exploded not had radiation and killed eople for the next 50 years. Thigs like that really make  me wonder how big some other events were but people never realized it.

I can totally see the technology era coming into play now. They went from having people go out and take your order; to people working in stations to make food; and finally to the phone the chef. Thigs were moving along pretty fast in those days. I honestly cant believe some of the stories behind the people who came up with these ideas of new technology.

Talk about a success story. Carl had the most interstling life i could think to live in that era. He was an icon it seems like. He was always thinking of the next best thing to hang with the bigger chains. He was a pioneer the way i look at it. I enjoyed the first chapter of this book and i look forward to reading the rest of it.

1 comment: